This weekend, we have enjoyed a few visits to some garage sales. Ri, Elizaberh and I like to explore through the treasures that we find. This costume was one of those "treasures". He makes a mighty sweet musketeer, doesn't he?
Jacob leaves for Washington DC in less then 4 weeks. I can hardly believe it is here. He is struggling over it right now. It is not that he does not want to go. He really, really wants to go. But, he has had so many people tell him how expensive it is and make remarks about it that he is feeling pretty miserable about going. On the other side of it, there have been so many who have helped him near his goal and who have tried to encourage him but I think he is feeling guilty about how much money it is. I keep reminding him of all that he will experience and how Washington DC has been his dream since first grade. I remind him how if this trip was anywhere else and any other child, I would have to agree with the cost and that his dad and I would never have even considered it. But it is for Jacob, who soaks up everything he is ever taught, who has dreamt of visiting WAshington DC and who loves every facet of the history of our country and is very into government and politics. I am convinced that this will be worth every penny and that there is no possible way that he could experience DC in such a way if he had visited it with his family. I just can't seem to convince my little boy. So, please pray that he will not focus on how much money it cost, how much he has worked to earn it, and how much others have helped him. I know Jaocb and I am afraid that if he can not let go of that, he may not be able to enjoy the experience. I want him to have no regrets, to learn what it takes to reach a goal, and to come back loving his country even more then he already does.
He has been doing a lot of babysitting for us, but has not seemed to have (or maybe the better phrase is "taken") many opportunities to earn more money. THis weekend, his Mamaw held a garage sale and raised $140.00 for his trip and Mark's Aunt and Uncle generously added to his fund. Mamaw had already held a garage sale in the spring for Sam and Jacob and gave each of the boys $100.00. Mark's brother and sister have been generously adding to the fund as well. With all of their help, the ticker is moving once again! I am confident that Jacob is learning more from this experience of raising funds then anything he would ever have learned out of a book. What an incredible experience he has already had! We are so thankful for all who have encouraged our son through this endeavor.
Not much more has been going on. The kids have completed a full week of school. They are all adjusting well. Jacob seems to enjoy being back in school, though his knees are suffering from cross country. We ended up making him take a few days off of running. Sam seems to really enjoy high school. He is amazing us. It seems as if he has grown up so much in the past few weeks (and literally grown up - he is at least 2 inches taller then me... when did that happen????). His schedule is absolutely crazy. Last week, he didn't get home until 9:00-10:30 at night every night. He had soccer and band practice Monday, soccer matches Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, and then a Football game (Marching band) on Friday. So far, he is handling his schedule wonderfully. Erin has a very, very difficult academic schedule, including honors and college courses as well as a very intense extracurricular schedule. SHe is the treasurer for her class, a student council representative, involved in FCA and in the marching band and varsity soccer. CRAZY!! But God has been so faithful. Erin is maturing into an incredible young lady and an absolute joy to be around. Emily is enjoying the fact that this is her final year of High School. SHe is a Senior mentor. She is busy trying to find a job that will give her more hours. Right now, she is only working 1 day a week and really only about 3-4 hours. That is definitely not enough. We had some friends over Saturday night. One of those friends happens to be a Psychologist. Emily was thrilled to have a chance to speak with him about his occupation. She is feeling very pulled in that direction. We were so thankful for the opportunity she had to speak with him. Em is such a help around here. On Saturday, she took care of the 2 little ones all day so that Mark and I could spend some time together and so that we could go to Erin's game. She didn't complain once and even shared with me how fantastic it was to be with them. What will I do without my sweet, thoughtful, helpful little girl next year???
No comments:
Post a Comment