Wednesday, September 10, 2008

The results of our Letter E hunt:







Today, I am struggling with knowing when to fight and when to let things go. I have been facing the School Board for nearly a year now. What began as a mere fight for an FCA club's survival, has since become a fight for something far bigger. Today, I am not sure where God is leading me. I am having an inner battle. My battle is deep and very intense. There is much I fear for our schools. My question is "How do I fight against this giant and should I? And if I should.... WHERE ARE MY STONES!!??" Right now, I feel weak. In the begiining, it was much easier; though still difficult for me. Originally, I felt as if the School Board was tying the hands of the club in order to protect themselves against a family who did not want their child attending the club. I stood in the gap, trying to fight for the rights of my child's club and ultimately, the rights of Christian kids. I watched our School Board become cold against any suggestions and watched the administration begin to really put pressure on the FCA advisor. What I thought was a simple battle between me and the School Board quickly shifted when the School Board demanded this teacher to remove the 10 commandments off of a poster in his room and remove his Bible from his desk. They had been pressuring him on a weekly basis, drilling him on the FCA club and seemingly looking for anything to pin on him. When he was told he had to remove his bible, I was in shock. I knew they were pushing for everything they could, but this was unbelievable. I felt their purpose was to make a powerful statement to him.

Many of you know the continuation of this story; especially if you are from around here. I don't need to expound on it. I need wisdom and courage. Many are sick of the "bible on the desk" fight. The problem is, they aren't seeing the bigger picture. It's easy to dismiss what is going on or to let someone else fight. It is easy to criticize (and many have). It's not easy to stand and defend what you feel is right. It's not easy to come up with the words to describe what truly is going on. THis is far more then simply a man who refused to remove his Bible. No - there was much more going on and unfortunately too many people are unaware of that and are so quick to judge.

Boy do I wish I knew what was involved in being on a School Board! I've taken them for granted far too long. It is time I find out what decisions they truly are making and why.

No comments: