Sunday, our church met missionaries to Cambodia. Has there ever been a time in your life when you were humbled simply by someone's testimony? I was not only humbled, but I felt so small... so petty..... so in awe of God and how He works in someone's life. I also felt an ache, deep down, a longing to have such a closeness with God that I could respond to whatever God handed me with such grace.
The testimony was given by the wife. At first glance, as many so often do, she certainly wouldn't be someone others might be drawn to. She wasn't beautiful, she wasn't thin, and she appeared to walk strangly (slow and lethargic)... at least until you realized that she was using a walker of some kind to assist her. My first thought was curiousity. Admittedly, I wondered how someone who appeared so "impaired" could be used on a mission field. Now, I really wasn't thinking those exact thoughts, but somewhere inside me it lingered. Before she spoke, we watched a video of their ministry. We saw pictures of the couple as children and when they met and wed. I was surprised simply because the woman in these photos certainly didn't look like the woman who was the missionary. They had adopted 4 children. That always draws my attention. My mind wondered as I thought of each of those kids and how their lives were effected. The video was much like the other videos we have seen, though they added some humor. And then, after the video, the wife began to walk to the front of the church. She didn't have far to go, just a few feet, but she did it slowly. Instead of stepping up the 2-3 stairs to stand in the pulpit area, she simply leaned on the ledge and took the microphone.
And then... my heart was humbled. I saw this woman transform into the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Her beauty radiated from her. She had grabbed a hold of my heart. There is no perfect word to her beauty, but she was beautiful. She became someone that I could point to as a role model for any of my children.
You see, many years ago they completed the coursework and preparation to become missionaries to Cambodia. They were excited for what God had planned for their life. The next step was to begin raising the funds to go. But God had some unexpected things planned for their life. Her health began to change and one day, she literally could not move her body. After being transported to the hospital, she was diagnosed with MS. She simply said "ok". The doctor left and she turned to her husband and asked if he still wanted to go to Cambodia knowing his wife had MS. He said yes and then asked her. She said yes. They both knew that God had allowed this and they were ready for whatever God had in store for them. She was told that it would be months before she would leave the hospital. She looked at them and said that she was a missionary to Cambodia and her God was able to do this quicker. She was so upbeat about it all with the doctors and therapists that they actually did a pychiatric test on her. Needless to say, in 13 days she was released with the approval of her doctor and all the therapists. She had reached the point they said she wouldn't reach for months in just 13 days.
As she shared the entire story, she radiated the love and grace of God. I was so humbled and in awe. I can't imagine taking such news and smiling through it; knowing the life that was ahead of me. She never questioned God, never cried, never said "why me?" or "poor me". She just simply said "ok". She is beautiful! When she was done, her husband stood up and said "when I grow up, I want to be just like her". It was so sweet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment