Sometimes it makes me sad that I am all grown up. Being grown up often causes us to trade our abilities to play, to imagine, to have fun, to explore, to trust, to believe in something.... there is just something precious about the "faith" of a little child.
Our church is involved in the Upward Basketball program. During half time of every game, a devotion or testimony is given. I have had the privilege to give a few devo's. One that came to my mind in the beginning of the season was Matthew 18:3 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
A little child has a faith that adults can not fathom. We use to have it, as a child... but age, time, experiences harden us. It is sad.
I sat down to share some words the kids have said lately, and I was struck at the noise behind me. Before I began to type, I was distracted by the imagination of my little ones. Elizabeth had placed a bar stool on it's side and was sitting in the middle of it with a piece of cardboard (slim) in her hand. She was talking to her "horse" and using her "whip" to make it go. She was smiling from ear to ear and proudly announced that she was riding her horse, Sally. Ri immediately got a horse as well and they played for awhile. Next, Elizabeth proudly brought me a stuffed fish and announced that she had just gone fishing a Mamaw's house and caught a fish. Soon, Ri grabbed a dog (2 inches long) and introduced his dog to the fish. They began a conversation and started playing. The fish got in his "car" and the dog got into it's vehicle and they played in the "pond" (the chair). Earlier, Ri had found a USB flash drive and magnetic geomag sticks and instantly had a gun (of which he chose to chase his sister around the room). The horses are hitched and Sally is eating her food. All this has transpired in a matter of 10 minutes.
The imagination of a 4 year old. They have few inhibitions. They can laugh, cry, scream, dance, squeal, jump, pretend... whatever they feel.. .whereever they are. Me? Well, it is hard for me to pretend, hard to sing in front of anyone, rarely will I dance and squeal... becoming an adult does seem to stifle the fun in life. Oh to have the eyes of a child... and the simple faith that comes with it.
What I originally sat down to post were a few silly things that the kids have said. I wish I write it down right away because I ALWAYS forget it by the time i sit down to blog.
I was making a fire when Elizabeth started talking to me about it. She has all sorts of thoughts and questions. But the one that tickled me was when she asked me if the fire eats the wood.
A few days ago, Ri announced that he loved pizza hunting. I was slightly confused. He insisted I remember when he loved pizza hunting. I asked again what he meant, and he said, you know... when I was on the bus and went pizza hunting. Elizabeth then chimmed in reminding me when he went pizza hunting with preschool. I finally got it! He had gone on a field trip to Pizza HUT. I cracked up. Pizza hunting was his word for Pizza Hut.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment