2009... it's the beginning of a new year. For the Miller Home, New Years Day is probably one of the most precious days of the year. We hold a tradition unlike many others. For our children, New Years is much like the celebration of Christmas for so many others. We do not celebrate Christmas in our home. We never have. I grew up celebrating Christmas, though the birth of Christ was rarely a part of it. Mark grew up never celebrating Christmas, though the birth of Christ was the most important thing to he and his family. Odd how things are sometimes. I was not a christian, but Christmas was the absolute most precious day of the year for me. Mark was a strong believer in Jesus Christ and Christmas meant nothing to his family. Understanding it all is far more complex then I am able to write down.
As for our children, they love Christmas. They recognize it for what it is. They rejoice in the birth of Christ and love a day set aside to remember His birth and what his birth means to us. They look forward to the day spent with my parents and often a season that includes visiting with their cousins and Aunt and Uncle from Florida. But as for New Years... it is something they look forward to more then any other day.
Over the years, it has become a precious day to all of us. In the morning, the kids are excited to see the many presents that await them. But before we begin the "festivities", we sit down as a family and reflect on some things or ways that we have seen God in the previous year and spend some time purposely reflecting on the New Year with God being the center. It is my favorite time of the morning. And for some reason, this year was far more precious to me then any other year. I think mostly because it is such a time of uncertainty. We were honest with the kids about the uncertainty of the economy and what the future holds. Oh, we never know what the future holds, I know that... but entering into 2009 seems far more uncertain with the economy that our country is currently facing. So, our reflections became such a precious time of taking our uncertainties and reminding the kids to lay them at the foot of the cross..... reminding them that no matter what God chooses to allow to come into our lives, He is in control and He is the one who will hold us through it all. There is such a peace in that understanding.
We look forward to a new year. For some of us, 2008 was a time we don't mind setting aside and moving on. Jacob and I both agreed that 2008 was not filled with great memories. Oh, don't get me wrong, there are wonderful things that happened and I wouldn't trade many of them at all... but I struggled with my walk with the Lord. As for Jacob, it was the hardest year of all. Much might be do with the changes that go on during this time of life for a 12 year old. But, he and I both agree that much of the difficulty for him has been the relationship that he and I have had. I have not been there for my son like I use to be. I use to be Jacob's "safe haven". No matter what he was going through, he knew he could count on mom's loving touch to make it all go away. But since the addition of Ri combined with my off and on walk with the Lord, Jacob has been on the end of my wrath far more then any gentle soothing touch. It wasn't until this past month that I finally opened my eyes to see what I had been doing to him. It finally dawned on me how hard I have been on him. And... by the grace of God, we had a talk about it. Both of us are looking forward to saying goodbye to 2008 and hello to a new year and .. hopefully... a restored relationship.
Some of our highlights from 2008 are Jacob's Washington trip, Emily becoming a Senior in high school and her trip to Philidelphia, Sam's trip to Poland, and Erin's soccer camp and homecoming experience. There are far more highlights to mention, but these are some that are burned into our kids memories. For me, I think the most important highlight is the bonding of Ri and I. He truly became my son in 2008! Some other memories that come to the top of my head: the price of gas!, Mark diagnosed with skin cancer, lots and lots of senior pictures, Marks parents celebrated 50 years together, our pastor moved away, Uncle Paul became the pastor of a church in Radnor, Sam started high school, my girls had their first official dates and my son longs too, the election of Obama and the uncertainty of our country, my neice graduated from High School, Emily spent 2 weeks in Florida babysitting, realizing that I have a senior in high school!, Erin got her drivers license.
There is much more to write, but time has gotten away from me.
No comments:
Post a Comment