Wednesday, October 8, 2008

I was talking with someone over the weekend and the conversation reminded me how I should praise God, without ceasing, for my in-laws. We were talking about a mother-in-law who despises her daughter-in-law and assuming that the reverse is true. I can't imagine the pain of that kind of relationship and the difficulties that it must add to your marriage.

When I met Mark, my life did not reflect Christ in any way. I wasn't seeking God, I wasn't desiring to live for Him, I was living for myself. The person I was before I met Mark... actually before I truly gave my life over to the Lord, is a completely different person. I am definitely an example of a new creature in Christ. I say that because it would be easy to think that I somehow deserved the gift God has given me in my in-laws.... at least if I were walking with God at the time I met Mark, I might easily take for granted that I have wonderful in-laws. But I wasn't. THere wasn't anything about me that was good. So, I can do nothing less but realize that God blessed me with grace and mercy.

You see, I love my mother-in-law as if she were my mother. She is everything to me. I can't imagine life without her. I love being with her, I love her advice, I love her love! She is someone I look up to, someone I adore, someone I respect. She radiates the love of Christ. In the 18 years that Mark and I have been together, I can't think of a time when she was no my nerves or that I didn't want to see her. I have looked to her, far more times then I could ever begin to count, for wisdom and advice. She has taught me so much by example. My mother-in-law is one of my heros.

But she is not the only one of Mark's family that I love more then life. Mark has a wonderful family as well as an extended family. They all opened their arms wide when I came into Mark's life. They loved me despite some of the choices I made before I met Mark. They shared with me the love of Christ. But there are 4 whom have intricately intwined their lives into mine. I am forever indebted to their love.

My sister-in-law is not really that... she is more my sister then I could ever imagine a sister being. She is my friend and she, also, is my hero. If I were to ask for an Aunt to my kids that would meet my dreams; she would far surpass it. I can not tell you the countless times that she has been there for us. Her laughter, her smile, her love all are given freely. She opens her arms, her heart, and her home to my children and to me. For me, she is a seocnd mom to my children. I would trust her with their lives. She is such a beautiful role model for my girls. Oh how I love this woman! And.. oh how I thank GOd for her in my life. I am truly blessed.




And for those of you who might remember, our son, Ri, was given the American name Paul. It is his namesake that I adore with all that I have. Uncle Paul, as we affectionately call him, is another one of Mark's family with whom I love as a brother. He has been there for us through every step we have taken. Like is mom and his sister, he has truly given his life to our children. He adores them! I can count on the fact that Paul is lifting the kids before the Lord daily. He hops in the car and comes at a moments notice. If one of the kids is hurt or sick, he (as well as the others)is in the car on his way. He drops everything for us when we need him. There are countless times that he has heard the kids mention something they wanted or needed, and despite his situation, he is at our door bestowing the gift upon the kids. He amazes me. I am so thankful for his part in our lives.

And I could never leave out one of my favorite men. I absolutely adore this man. I can remember ever hearing a criticism of anyone out of his mouth. What an example he sets! He is wild and crazy and he scares us all to death with some of his decisions :) ... but that is just who he is... and I love every part of who he is.
He simply makes me smile. He'd do anything for his kids.. and what is cool is that he considers me one of his kids. I love that!



And how could I ever leave out Mark's brother, Alan? It was Alan who set up a blind date between Mark and I. If it weren't for Alan seeing something in me that might spark in interest in his brother, I might still be floundering in my life and walking in the ways of the world. I am forever grateful!

I could go on and on about all of Mark's family. I love them all. I treasure them and pray that God will allow many more years with them

No comments: