Monday, October 27, 2008

Do you remember when I shared with you that Elizabeth had caught a bear and took it on the walk with us. Well.. this is "Chopper". Isn't he a big bear?

If you have not yet heard of the milk poisoning in China, I will share a brief bit with you. It is melamine poisoning. The most prevelant place it has been found is in powdered milk, specifically infant formula...evidently even more specifically in the formula that Elizabeth was on for the first 10 1/2 months of her life. The poisoning has been traced back at least 5 years. It can cause kidney stones, kidney failure, and death. It is also something they are fearing will lead to cancer. It has caused many infant deaths. At this point, I am trusting that God has protected both kids from the poisoning. We are in the process of contacting our doctor to have some testing on the kids, specifically Elizabeth. There are no specific symptoms that would cause any doctor to request tests, so right now, we are searching for information that will help determine a reason to have testing done on her. I do not know the formula that Ri was on for his first years of life, but suspect the same for him. We will keep you posted as we find out more information.

In the meantime, as for life in our home...Well, things in the Miller home seem to be changing very quickly. I can't believe that in less then a year, our oldest daughter will be moved out and going to college. That seems so distant and unreal, painful, exciting, crazy... I just don't know what to think about it all. I think she and I are both scared about it all. But as we wait for this new stage in her life, new stages are popping up all around Mark and I. In one weekend, we had 3 kids asking if they could date. Keep in mind that none of our kids have officially dated anyone. Emily is 17, beautiful, and pure. She obediently waited until she was 16 to date.. counting the days down, but when she turned 16, she had seen so much drama from her friends that she decided that she wasn't going to date in high school. Erin has had a few interests and has pushed the envelope a few times, but has respectfully not had a boyfriend. All the kids have known all their life that the rule was NO DATING until 16. Erin is now 16. Sam is 14... so... the rule remains... to his disatifaction, but obedience.

So, with the help of homecoming, our life changed...in one weekend. Emily's young man has pursued her for months. He has been patient, respectful, and caring. He has shown his affections very quietly, through precious and kind acts. Despite her committment NOT to date her senior year in school, she finally gave in and admitted her interest in this young man. And... so.. as the rule has been, a young man who shows desires to date our precious daughters.. must sit and ask their father! Something our girls have known (and even looked forward to) all their life. Of course, they have been told that DAddy would be holding a gun and the boys would be standing right there with weapons of their own through the entire talk (an image that has not left our girls heads).

Despite the warnings to the 2 young men about to approach their interests father... they mustered the courage and accomplished their goal. The first to approach us was Emily's young man. He, a little nervously, asked us if he could date our daughter. Mark was wonderful, kind, considerate, and loving through the entire conversation. So much for an intimidating Dad! (much to the disappointment of his oldest daughter)

The next week, Erin's young pursuer arranged a time to talk with us. Still thinking that her father may be an intimidating brut with a gun. To his relief, Mark was just as wonderful to him as he had been to Mike. Me, on the other hand, sat squirming... waiting for my turn to "intimidate" and remind them of our desires for them. Boy how things change! I thought Mark would be the tough guy and me the sweet, open armed one. Nope....

And as far as Sam goes, he is being very obedient and wonderful. He would like to date, but is respectful enough to not consider it. He asked, we said no, and that was it. What great kids they are! I am thankful for them!

THis is Emily and her "special friend", as my husband likes to say. The word boyfriend is so SCARY! But Mike treats our princess like a princess... so I guess I am ok with him. :) by the way - Em's hair is painted for the party. I wouldn't approve of it otherwise.

THis is Erin and her "special friend". He was her escort for homecoming.


Well.. this is a bit more scary. Nick and Erin dressed up for a halloween party. They wanted something easy, but fun. They decided to be "gothic". I really do NOT like the look, but it was fun watching them get ready. .. especially when Nick had to put on makeup and fingernail polish. :)

No comments: