Thursday, July 3, 2008




Emily and I have been playing around with senior picture ideas. The first one, Emily likes the most. I am looking forward to trying lots of different places to take the pictures. I am getting tired of the same spots/poses. I loved the flower idea. She came up with that one.



Sometimes, I am not so sure what gets into me. LAtely, I have been very convicted about my responses to my wonderful son, Jacob. His summer has been a little harder then the other kids. He has no camps to go to, no friends he really hangs out with to invite over, a broken arm, a brother who has left him for a month, and older sisters who don't think he is as cool as the little ones. He is kind of on his own. And, lately, my responses to him have been with frustration, anger, and exasperation. I have had little patience and have taken little time out to really realize or even try to realize what he is feeling. Before we adopted Elizabeth and Ri, I was always there for Jacob. I knew him like the back of my hand. When he needed my attention, he got it. It seems like ever since we brought two little ones into our lives, Jacob's attention has been squeezed out. It breaks my heart. Right now is probably the time he needs me even more.

So.. with that said, yesterday he mentioned that he thought Dad might be wrong about how long it would take to get to Grandma's house if we walked. He then preceeded to tell me he thought it would only take 2 hours. You see, Grandma's house is 9 miles from ours. I don't know what came over me, but I looked at him and told him I thought he was right and then asked him if he wanted to try to walk there. Ok... I really hadn't thought much about having two 3 year olds at that moment. But he lit up and said yes. So, I woke Erin up, told her we were walking to Grandma's. She got up, we got the little ones ready and headed out the door. It was an incredible walk. (in MANY ways!). Jacob was off a little on his first estimation. It took us 4 hours to get there. But we had a great deal of un on the way. We all agreed it had been a good idea. The little ones rode in their strollers most of the way. There is a stretch of about 5 miles where cars go by us at 55-60 miles an hour... but there aren't that many that travel the road. I would say maybe 40-50 cars passed us. Once we got on a safer part of the walk, Ri decided he wanted to walk some. Erin, Jacob and I were playing a game with the soccer ball and having so much fun. He decided he wanted to jump in. It amazes me how wonderful he does dribbling!

Once we made it into town, we stopped at McDonalds and enjoyed a treat. What fun we had! I think we'll have to try it again another day.... once my legs recouperate!



Last night, when we got home, we grabbed a few jars and the little ones squealed as Jacob, Daddy and I caught lightening bugs for them. They went to bed with their jars glowing beside them. Once they fell asleep, I let the bugs go. Tonight, we'll catch some more. What a fun day we had!






For those of you following Sam's journey in Poland, here is his schedule for the next few days. It made me very sad. I'm not sad because he is doing this, in fact, I am thrilled that he has an opportunity to visit Auschwitz. I am sad because I will not hear from him in ANY way until they get back from this particular visit. That means it will be 4 days. That makes my heart ache. I have not had a chance to IM him for 2 days as it is. So, this morning, when I missed him again on IM, my heart began to ache deeply. I was thankful for the email he sent me. I had asked him several questions. He took the time to respond to them (he is such a good boy- thinking of his mama!). If you have been praying for him and for the Perry's, please continue to pray. This will give you a better idea of his next few days.

Thursday - 3:11 pm - Train departs for Krakow (4-hour ride). We are making the kids leave laptops & PSP's behind so they will talk, play cards, & look at the Polish countryside.

Thursday - 7:00 pm - Arrive in Krakow, where we will be staying at a hostel near downtown (not staying at the university because it was full). This will be a new experience.

Friday - 9:00 am - Train departs for Auschwitz (1:45 ride). Sherri, Ben, Irmina, Luke & Sam will go to Auschwitz while the rest of the kids & Dave tour Krakow.

Friday - 6:00 pm - Train arrives back in Krakow from Auschwitz. We will spend the evening in Krakow

Saturday - Tour Krakow during the day

Saturday evening- Train arrives back in Radom

Sunday - Church in the morning, lunch with Mikolaj's family, and dinner in the country with Tytus & some of his friends. These friends have teens who study abroad, and they want to meet our family.

Sunday - Late night - Ben, Joe & Jim will say goodbye to all of their friends here.

Monday - early morning - Drive the boys to the airport in Warsaw. Their flight leaves at 12:10 pm Warsaw time (6:10 am Ohio time)

No comments: