When we had our house built, some wonderful friends allowed us to stay in their "barn" for 3 months. It was not really a barn, we just use to call it that as kids. It was a building that kind of looked like a barn, but was built for recreation. It was rugged and hadn't been stayed in for a long time. We were so thankful for it. But, like I said, it was on the rugged side. We all slept in the upstairs. The first night we were there, I couldn't sleep. I kept hearing mice scurring around the floor. All I could think of was my baby who was sound asleep in a crip near by and my other 3 sleeping close to the floor. In the morning, when Mark took off for work, I laid in bed and carelessly ran my hand across my stomach. Big mistake! Attached to my skin was a tick. Have I mentioned how much I hate mice and ticks????? I FREAKED out. I knew noone could remove it but me. So, I forced myself to touch it and pull it out. Oh, what a horrible memory. Well, since that time, 12 years ago.... I have experienced more ticks then I care to think of as well as mice, raccoons, possums, bats, deer, turkies, spiders (big & harry), and I am sure countless other kinds of bugs and things. Well, I don't freak out anymore. I usually call for Sam or Jacob. They are masters at removing ticks. Once, though, I did go to the doctor to have one removed off my child. Jacob had one attached directly on his eyelid.... right where it meets the eyeball! Ok - I freaked on that one. DIdn't have a clue how to take it off. I've even removed a few with my fingers... after I have failed finding any tweezers. I despise touching the things!! I have to have something between me and the tick.
So, why am I telling you this? This morning, when I was giving the kids a bath, Ri had one attached to his hip. I pointed it out and then ran for tweezers. While I searched the house, Ri giggled and giggled talking quite a bit about a bug. When I finally returned (without tweezers and dreading the deed ahead of me), he was laughing and pointing to a tick crawling on the bathtub wall. He was so proud that he pulled that tick out. And even prouder that it was stuck on him. I couldn't help but laugh at what a whimp I was and how brave he was.
No comments:
Post a Comment