Sunday, April 27, 2008

The REST of the story......

If you remember reading the beginning of Jacob's fly story, here is the rest. I have included the entire story for you to enjoy.

To begin, my name is Boz and I am a musca domestica, or a common housefly. I don’t particularly like siblings, I never have. You see I have over 5,000 of them and if I thought I couldn’t get more annoyed at the principal of siblings, I was wrong. It just so happens that the story I am about to tell you proves to anyone the vital importance of a healthy relationship between two brothers, and if you have problems with your brother or sister, you might want to think about solving them, because you definitely don’t want to end up like the twisted family I am about to share with you.
Like I had said earlier, when I was born I already had thousands of siblings. With all of these children and only one mother, I began to feel excluded. I eventually decided to move out of my comfortable middle-class suburban house. I left on my 17th birthday (17 days old) to begin the journey of a lifetime (about 35-days for houseflies). I smiled. It had been a long hard way to spend a childhood, but I was finally free. I was ready to see the world, or as much of it as possible for a fly, with 18 days left in his life-expectancy.
Anyway, I left my home with confidence. I could do anything, and everything. The fact that I was about the size of a peanut, at the near-bottom of the food-chain, considered a pest by most humans, and could be squashed by almost everyone and everything in the world, well, it just didn’t bother me. The adrenaline was pumping, and like I said, I was determined to see the world.
If you’re asking yourself something like, “what is wrong with him, doesn’t he feel any remorse about leaving his family?” Or “there must be a total loss of compassion in his puny body,” you’ve got it all wrong. You see, I had really never met my mother or father. That may sound weird to some, but you have to remember I had thousands of siblings and my parents really couldn’t recognize all of them. Seventeen was around the age that “teenage” flies usually leave the nest. As a matter of fact, most of them had left a long (a day or two) ago. Those flies had already found their mates and left to make their own families. I though, could never find a mate, so I never left.
Remember when I told you that I was determined to see the world? Well, though it may surprise some of you, I actually did have one main goal. What was this goal you ask? It is something so daring that few flies had ever even attempted it, and so dangerous that even fewer had ever come back. I will attempt to land on a human. I know, if you happen to be a human reading this story this may sound like nothing much. But if you are a fly, a bee, a mosquito, or even a butterfly, you know how dangerous this is. First of all humans are big, gigantic really. The ratio of a human’s mass to a fly’s is about 2,000,000 to 1. Also human’s have these gigantic weapons that they call fly-swatters (how disgusting is that?) Anyway, these things have the potential to kill about 50 flies at one time, if they are all grouped together. Besides that they have little holes in them to make them go faster and give the flies less of a warning. So here’s a scenario. A fly is just standing on the wall, minding his own business, when all of a sudden a giant fly-swatter comes and squashes him. Sick isn’t it?
Once I had found an open window, I flew out into the world, leaving my past behind. It was a dark night and I couldn’t’ see too well (by the way flies, although they do have a wide view, have very blurry vision,) but I decided that a good place to start would be the road, so I flew out and hovered a few feet above the street. Suddenly I began to hear strange noises. The sounds were foreign to me, but I guessed that they might be a much larger insect’s form of buzzing. I wasn’t really too scared. I knew I could always fly away from other insects. Soon though, I began to realize that the noise was approaching too quickly to be an another insect. I turned around and saw a massive object with two bright lights shining from it. I decided that now might a good time to fly away. I turned around and started flying full speed. It didn’t help though. That object was just going too fast for me to escape. Within seconds I felt a sudden pain against my side. Then everything went black.
I woke up from my state of unconsciousness a few minutes later. I finally realized where I was. I was on what humans call a car, which is something they use for transportation. I personally think it would be faster just to fly, but humans seem to think differently. The first thing I tried to do was fly, but I realized that that might be a little harder then I thought. You see I had a fractured leg, which was somewhat of a hindrance to my take off. With much struggle though, I actually overcame my disability and launched into the air. I flew as high as I could to find a good view of my location. What I saw chilled my exoskeleton. There was and open are full of grass and seats for humans, but that wasn’t what was incredible. What was incredible was the hundreds of humans, all running, walking, and talking to each other. There were so many that I didn’t doubt I could fulfill my goal right then and there. I had hundreds of options, I just needed to choose one. I just have to say, I made the wrong choice.
I flew in to a group of humans located behind a building and landed on the wall. This is the conversation I heard.
“Jim, you’re such a baby, why did you have to go crying to mom about how I hurt you.”
“Well Cliffe I was under a lot of pain, and you were verbally abusing me in front of all of my friends.”
“Oh, well Nerd, that explains it. You’re just too much of a weakling to take a little joke. Well if that’s the way you see it I can straighten that up.” With that he walked up to his brother and whacked him on the head. “That’s for telling Mom,” he said. He hits him again, “And that’s so you won’t do it again,” he yelled. By that time the younger brother was crying.
“Wait I have an idea” Jim cried out in desperation. “What if we have a competition, to see who can swat a fly first., if I win, I can tell mom. But if you win, I‘ll be quiet.”
“O.K.” Cliffe said. “But we start now.” With that he started running to find a fly.
Now I don’t want to insult my race, but flies aren’t the brightest creatures, and I realize until too late that my life could possibly be in danger. I was about to be rudely awakened. Within seconds both Jim and Cliffe spotted me, and all of a sudden it was a clumsy race towards me. I knew what I had to do. I had to put them back into their fight. I could only do this one way.
I was about to fulfill my goal.
Without thinking, I landed on Cliffe‘s head. Jim noticed me and took a whack, but I easily dodged it, (did I mention flies had great reflexes?) Unfortunately ( for Jim and Cliffe) the hit land directly on Cliffe’s forehead. While I was flying away I took one look back to see what would happen.
“All right twerp, I don’t care what Mom says, you are going down,” and with that Cliffe and Jim reentered their fight, and they fought hard. I can’t give the details because I flew away. Hmm… I thought to myself. How could a fly be so scared of a human? They call us a lesser being.
If you’re a human and you’re reading this, I leave you with one simple thought. You fight, you kill, you worry about wealth, you fight with your siblings, and then you call flies lesser beings. I think you need to examine yourselves a little more before you come to these conclusions, hypocrites. Flies may only live for 35 days but we live so much more than humans. Now, chew on that!

No comments: