Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Happy Day for Elizabeth

Yesterday was Elizabeth's 3rd birthday. We didn't do anything extra special, somewhat like Ri's day. I learned a long time ago that I don't need to do all the "hullabuloo" I use to do. They really don't have any expectations of something huge, nor do they really comprehend the specialness of turning another year older. To them...it is their "happy day".... whatever that means! For Elizabeth, it meant getting to eat some m&m's at snack time when Ri was taking his nap. It meant having the Happy Day song sung to her over and over. It meant having a little "poppy - aka: pop" and having her own special cupcake with tons of icing. For her, it meant having some presents to open and giving some to Ri to open. We did plan a trip to magic mountain. The girls really, really wanted to go, so we waited most of the day so that they could join us. But when I called Magic MOuntain, I found out that the older kids were not allowed in the tunnels to play with their siblings. Mark and I could play, but not the older teenagers. That devastated them all. They really wanted to play with the toddlers and make it special for Elizabeth. So.. we boycotted Magic Mountain and went to McDonalds for Ri and Elizabeth to play in the tunnels. Only thing was, Elizabeth fell asleep on the way and it took us a good 20 minutes to wake her up enough for her to play a little.

For me? It meant thinking about her birthparents.... both of their birthparents. I can't help but feel the ache of their hearts. This time of year must bring heaviness to them and fill them with tons of questions. They must wonder where their child is and how they are doing. For Ri, they must wonder if he is still alive. I wish that ,s omehow, they could know that their children are loved and safe.

Well, for now, I need to attend to my 2 little ones.

No comments: