Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Update on Elizabeth's condition. She officially has a moderate case of platelet storage pool deficiency. It is a bleeding disorder caused by a deficiency in dense granuales in the platelets. Dense granules release chemicals in the clotting process and help platelets stick together to form clots. People with this typically have mild to moderate bleeding episodes because it takes longer for your platelets to stick tobether and form a clot. Because of the missing chemicals, they can't let other platelets know that more platelets are needed for clotting (information given to me by Nationwide Children's Hospital). They also sent a pamphlet that I need to make sure the schools have on file. It informs them what to do if she is injured or having difficulty with anything. Just reading it could scare a person to death. All this time, I have never been too concerned about her falling or scraping a knee or anything.... NOW!! YIkes!! I am a little nervous. Silly how knowing something can change an entire outlook.

So... we are going back to Children's on Tuesday to have some more testing done. THis time they will draw blood and time how long it takes to clot. She will then be given a nasal spray and repeat blood draw an hour later. They will time the second draw as well. There should be a significant change in the time it takes to clot. They will also educate us more on her condition. I shared with Elizabeth that she is going to need more blood. She is, to say the least, not happy nor willing to do it. So if you wouldn't mind praying that she does not fight me and the draw is easy, I would appreciate it.

No comments: