There are times when I get frustrated with the day to day chores of being a mom, times when I really, really get frustrated with the stages a few of my kids are in, there are times when I lose my temper to a degree that I am ashamed of even contemplating let alone actually living it. There are times when my tongue lashes out, totally oblivious to the fact that I am a child of the King. And yet, despite all my inadequacies... despite my failings, ... despite it all.... my Lord and Savior has never given up on me. And it's when I can remember His love that I can let go of my frustrations, my anger, my temper, and move forward .... letting go of whatever it was that made me feel that way to begin with.
This weekend, I was reminded ... again.... that my Lord is not the only one who loves me with a love that I am so undeserving of. He is not the only one who loves me despite my failings. I was reminded of the love of my husband and the love of my children. And they are the ones who see so many of my failings. They end up being on the other end of my lashing out. And yet, they still look at me as the "best mom in the whole world". I am blessed beyond where my imaginiation could even reach.
There is nothing deeper or richer then when your child... in the midst of your anger, reaches out and says something to remind you that they love you. There are a few times when one child in particular was catching my anger. They deserved some of it, but often we butt heads with fierce intensity.... so fierce that I lose it and say things that I ought not to say. It is then that this child has set an example for me (far too often) and apologizes, unexpectedly... and reminds me what a good mom they think I am.
There are stages in each of the kids lives that are particularly hard on me. Two, maybe three are going through those difficult stages right now. When I am hit with all three at the same time, it wears me out. Oh how I wish I could be patient and have a tongue that is like soothing salve on a wound. I have to stop and remind myself that I am blessed and despite even the most difficult moment of a heated conversation or battle with a child.... we truly have been blessed with 6 wonderful kids. They are normal, kids who are going through very normal stages in their life. Far too often I put the demand of perfection on their behavior and get angry when they fail. If only I could remember how often I have fallen.
Anyway... God has been working on me (for years it seems) in these areas. It was this weekned that blessed me with another one of those "wake and smell the roses" momeents..... when I could step out of the daily routine and the teenage (and preschool) moments and see my children through the eyes of Christ. I saw a picture of beauty and blessing. Oh how wonderful my children are and oh how I take them for granted. I love them so deeply!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Beautifully said and totally understood here. I am with you on all these feelings.
Post a Comment