Two years ago today, our lives changed as we walked into a cold room and saw the face of a scared little boy who had no clue the things that were about to happen. I can't imagine the fear that must have overwhelmed him as he saw this huge family of strangers, who spoke a foreign language, come in and head towards him. I am confident that God's hand has been holding Ri from the moment he was concieved. He has given Ri a strength that often amazes me.
That day, 2 years ago, seems so distant now. As I watch the video of our little guy, so many emotions overwhelm me. The transition wasn't easy for either Ri or I. I look back with such sadness at the struggles we went through. I have such an admiration for this little guy. DEspite all that he faced, he never once let it stop him. He has a strength and characater that many adults do not have. I think it is something God instilled within him in order for him to be able to make it through all that he had to go through in his young life.
Today, though, is a much different picture. Today, I am so in love with my beautiful son. He is such a joy and treasure. There is no difference between him and any of the other 5 kids... he is as much my child as any of the others. Oh how thankful I am for this day and all the memories it brings back. I am so thankful that on May 20, 2007, Liu Ri Chen became our son: Paul Liu Ri Chen Miller. We are so blessed. He has truly changed our lives for the better.
Ri is full of life. He has an ability to forgive and forget very quickly. He has an ornery streak in him that cracks me up (but it can also set me off). He ADORES his little sister; she truly is his very best friend. He LOVES reading books and coloring or writing. He has a very creative mind that, when put with his best friend, can be quite comical. He is very hesitant when it comes to some physical things but he never gives up. He sees Elizabeth breeze through them, so he tries as well. He doesn't have the stamina or the coordination she does, but we don't tell him that. He tries anyway. He gets tired out easy, probably due to his heart. He loves playing in water, especially muddy water! He loves baths, pools, mud puddles and the pond (despite how cold and muddy it is). He absolutely loves being loved by so many people. He reminds us quite often how many "peoples" love him. And he is very quick to tell us how many "peoples" he loves too. His favorite "peoples" are his immediate family. He lights up when the boys come home or when the girls walk in the room.
Ri knows all his letters and numbers. He can count almost to 30, though he struggles with forgetting some of the teens. He can write just about any letter and draw many different things. He can read many three letter words. He listens and obeys very well when he is told something. He loves having friends and the ability to play with them. He loves his one day at preschool and has no problem staying all by himself when Elizabeth and I leave. I is always making things for Elizabeth because, as he tell her, she is his best friend.
There is so much about Ri that is so very, very precious. I wish that all of you could spend time with him to see what I'm talking about. I can't wait to watch and see what God does with this little guys life!
2 comments:
I too am thrilled at your Gotcha Day memories!!!!!!!!!! But only one snake picture allowed per blogger! Ha!
Beautiful Gotcha day post! Thank you for sharing. I love reading these and seeing the pictures.
Post a Comment