Thursday, November 13, 2008

I do rejoice in the God of heaven and earth. I have enjoyed the time I have had with the little ones at bedtime. It amazes me that when the older 4 were little, Mark and I rarely missed a night reading a bible story or something like that. We purposely taught our children about who God is and how He is a part of our lives on a day to day basis. Somehow, with the chaos of life, we have lost that simple act. I took a moment one day and realized that I have missed so many wonderful opportunities with Ri and Elizabeth. I talk about God with them all the time, but I haven't found... or maybe the better word is "taken" the time to read on a day to day basis. I don't mean read simple books, but actually read the bible. The power truly is in the word of God. In fact, reading to them at bedtime rarely happened. So many things go on at that time of night that I just didn't sit down and have a routine of reading. So... a few months ago, I started to take time at night and read them stories; but not from the Bible. The kids loved it. They loved sitting beside me and reading a book. It was precious time that I should have taken long ago. A few weeks ago, I decided that it was time that I purposely began reading the bible to them... whether they understood it or not. I found a very old Childrens Bible Story series... you know... those big blue books that you use to see in the doctors office or some place like that when you were growing up. I remember them! The very look of them turned me off, probably because I remember them so long ago. Anyway, I picked it up and started reading Old Testament stories. To my surprise, both kids laid still and listened; so I kept on reading. Story after story, the kids have laid down and listened to it. It is finally becoming something they are kind of expecting. Oh, they can't tell me everything I read, but for now... they know there is a prophet of God named Elijah who obeyed God and told a king something he didn't want to hear. We've read of fire from heaven and even of dogs eating Jezebel! Talk about a gruesome bedtime story! Tonight we read about Elisha and we read how Elijah was taken up to heaven in a chariot of fire. What cool stories for the kids to hear. The neat thing.. they are truth. Even more... they are the words of the living God.

So, tonight, I rejoice in His word and for finally finding a way to make it a part of an everyday thing for my precious little ones. It's not just mommy and daddy talkig about God, but it's now them hearing the word of God regularly.

I also thought I would share with you that I am having more peace about the melamine. Yes, it is very possible that she was exposed. It is possible that she was even effected. I don't like either thought. But I am not as panicked. I am not as fearful. I am more at peace. I know i am doing all that I can do for her. I am researching, reading, contacting anyone and everyone I think who can help be an advocate for her health as well as any other kids in our community who might have been exposed. As of now, she has had 4 blood pressure screenings. None are normal, but not all are readings that should concern me. Her readings have been:
November 7th (morning): 116/72
November 10th (morning): 112/54
November 13th (morning): 106/54
November 13th (afternoon): 110/64

BAsed on a table I was sent by an adoption doctor, she is in phase 1 of hypertension for a 3 year old in the 30th percentile of her height. But... my family doctor has said her blood pressure is perfectly normal and a pediatrician we saw today said he was not concerned with her readings. We were told that she is anemic, she does experience nose bleeds at times (which may or may not be do to the blood pressure).
I had desparately wanted a urinalysis and blood work done on her as well as a kidney ultrasound. The doctor ran a UA on her and it was without protein. I am not sure if they did anything else with it. But... in July, we had gone to the ER for abdominal pain with Elizabeth. A series of bloodwork was drawn as well as a complete UA. The UA did not show any blood (yeah!) They also had ran the blood work that I have been begging our doctor to do. Yeah! I didn't realize we had already had it done. I got those reports today and am a little confused with them. I think, after having searched the internet, that her kidneys appear to be working great. One test they do for melamine is a Bun/Creatine. Her Bun was normal and her creatine was low. At first I thought that was bad, but I am now thinking that it is fine. I think the concern is when the creatine is elevated. Who knows, though. I am not a doctor! But for tonight, I rest at ease. We have an ultrasound scheduled for December 18th. I will look forward to that test. I think right now it is more for my peace of mind.

Uncle Paul.. here is the name of the skin disorder she has right now: pityriasis lichenoides et varioliformis acuta

No comments: