This may be rather long and boring to most of you, but it's something I'd love for Ri and Elizabeth to have one day. So... bare with me as I write my experience and conversation in the van yesterday morning.
I got the kids clothed and put their shoes on and told them it was time to go. They both put coats on. Elizabeth headed to the door. Ri bent down, grabbed something off the floor and began to walk.. noticed the two big jars full of blocks and ran. Before I knew it, Elizabeth had walked out the door and Ri had grabbed both jars (they are half his size). He had one in each hand and was proudly walking towards the door. We went out and Elizabeth was grabbing snow to eat. Ri wanted to, but that meant he would have to put his jars of blocks down. He decided not to. They both go in the van. I buckled them up, removing each jar as I got his arm under the belt. He insisted on having his jars back. I gave them to him. Then I started the van and drove off. I noticed a funny noise, but ignored it. Elizabeth started singing (she loves to sing). She sang this little "song"... "Everybody jump.. georgyjub georgyjub, everybody jump... goergyjub, georgyjub" and repeated singing it very sweetly and quietly. I heard a rythmic noise that was getting a little louder and wasn't sure where it was coming from. Everytime I looked back, Ri was watching Elizabeth and smiling at me. Elizabeth asked me to sing her song with her and said "everybody sing". Unfortunately, I didn't know this little jingle and couldn't understand who was jumping. I sang anyway. Ri agreed with me and tried to sing it, but he didn't know it either. She sang anyway. The noise continued. Finally, I put two and two together... Ri was moving his legs to the beat of her song... pounding on the jars with his feet. Now that made more sense! Elizabeth continued to sing and talk. This time, she said to me "Mom, guess what?". I said "what". she preceeded to tell me "Your job's safe". I told her I was happy about that. After that, she asked me if I wanted her to sing the Dodger Song (a song from the movie "Oliver"), I did, and so she sang the whole song (what she knows of it). Ri chimed in at the "oooo,oooo,oooo, oooo-ooo's"... still kicking with the rythm of the song. And then, after the song, she named a stuffed animal she was holding. She came up with a very good name but I can't remember it right now. Mainly because she asked Ri what the name of his was. Poor Ri, he didn't answer her quick enough, so she began making suggestions. But, before he could say yes or no, she would give him another suggestion... pleading for him to take that suggestion, but not giving him time to think of whether he wanted it or not. The conversation was completely one sided. It was so funny to listen too.
There is much more, but I forget a lot of it already. So.. I must end my thoughts on our van ride.
As for medical things going on.... we have an US appointment for both Ri and Elizabeth set up for December 18th. I located some bloodwork for Elizabeth taken on June 26. I discovered that they did take the test they would normally take for her kidneys. Her kidneys seem to be functioning fine. That was great to see. But... there were SEVERAL things that had been abnormal (either high, low or abnormal). They had never told us any of that. I guess it all points to her being anemic. Funny thing is, when our doctor sent her for a specific test for iron, she was not iron-deficient. Well, after posting something about her labwork to my melamine group, someone asked me a few more questions. Now... we are heading down another path of testing. There is a little one from China who matches up to almost every labwork that Elizabeth was low, high, or abnormal on. She has been diagnosed with a genetic disorder called thalassemia. It is an inherited disease of red blood cells, and is highly prevalent among South East Asian and Mediterranean populace.(I took this info from a website:V)
I have been trying to research the melamine stuff as thoroughly as possible. But, now I am researching this new condition. She may not have it. She is anemic and has been since we brought her home. She is not iron deficient, which is what most doctors will assume when a patient is anemic. These are 2 things that are very characteristic of thalassemia. Because this condition is not common in the states, I think it gets over looked. But since Elizabeth's labwork matched up so closely with the little girl who definitely has been diagnosed with thalassemia, I think it warrants my pushing for some more answers. So, that is the route I am going as of now. We hope to have some genetic testing done the same day we have the ultrasounds done on the kids.
And that is how our life is around the Miller home. As my dear friend Christy reminded me.... Us Millers do not do normal things. We like to be a little different. I think Elizabeth is just trying to fit in well!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment