I think that we have turned a corner. Ri and Elizabeth are both beginning to do wonderful. Elizabeth seems to be having less and less meltdowns and far less screaming and crying. I think the tiredness and sickness is finally leaving. This weekend, I caught her hugging Ri and laughing with him lots of times. It was wonderful to see. They ran around holding hands and playing with each other far more often then fighting. And when Elizabeth is going to do something, she makes sure that we do not forget Ri. Things seem to be getting back to normal! I am truly thankful for that!
Mark and I had the incredible privlidge of being lay leaders in our Senior High youth group for several years. When we adopted Elizabeth, we stepped down. During the time that we were involved, we saw God working in many of the teens lives. Last night at church, we enjoyed hearing one of those teens speak. One of the sad statistics is that 85% of teenagers who attended church actually leave the church once they graduate. THat is a terrifying statistic, but unfortunately, we have witnessed much of that through working with the teens. It saddens my heart and puts fear in me for my own children. This young man, though, is in the 15%. I remember when I saw him become on fire for the Lord as a teenager. It was exciting to watch him grow. When he graduated from high school, he went on to a Christian College. From there, he graduated and became an intern for Josh McDowell. God's hand is on this young man! For those of you who do not know who Josh McDowell is, he is a very, very well known writer/speaker in the Christian realm. I can not imagine what an honor and privlidge it was for him to become Josh's intern.
As we listened to him share about how God worked in his life over the 10 months he served as an intern, I thought about some of the things that he shared. Since we adopted Elizabeth, I have missed many, many services. My husband is so precious, he realized how often I was missing church and began trading off with me. Because Elizabeth responds in terror if we leave her in the nursery, we decided that one of us needs to be with her. So, one of us misses the sermon and the other misses Sunday school. The next week, we swap. It has helped out tremendously. But I realized that since we have adopted Ri, my devotion time, my prayer time, my time with God has dwindled to nothing. I've known it, but honestly, I just didn't have the energy to do anything about it. Well, my life has reflected that and recently, God has been working on me.
Some of the hardest lessons I have learned are through my children. Since we have come home, my attention has been focused on getting through Elizabeth's jealousy and Ri's adjustment. Unfortunately, the other 4 have been "neglected". Several things have happened recetnly to bring that to my attention. And... last night, our friend shared with us some of the things that Josh McDowell speaks on. One of them was the influence a parent has in their child's life. It was at that point that I truly began to see how God has been put aside in my life while I have tried to keep my head above water.
Ok.. I know that what I truly need as my life perserver is God... but, as usual, I tried doing it on my own. You would think that I would learn this lesson! So, this morning, I was back to the word of God. How refreshing! God's word truly is ointment to a wound. His word is life. It is healing, refreshing, and food for the soul.
I went to the book of Romans. A week or so ago, the Pastor spoke on Romans and how Romans is a guide on how to walk a Christian walk. I figured that was a good place for me to go. The verse that first caught my attention was this:
Romans 2:11 For there is no respect of person with God. You see, I use to teach abstinence in the school system. Our friend shared with us that Josh McDowell teaches abstinence in Christian schools. I am not sure if he shared this about STD's, but I always did. STD's are no respecter of persons. It doesn't matter if you are rich, clean, good, ... nothing... you can get an STD if you are exposed to one. Then, with Ri's TB, the nurse used the same phrase. TB is no respector of persons.
So.. when I read this verse, it jumped out. I then got to thinking about all the people who think they are better then the other guy and they are just good enough to go to HEaven. I thought about how so many think that God is a God of love and that He loves them and so there is no way that God would send them to Hell, especially because they are good people. Then I got to thinking of how many "christien kids" feel safe in going to heaven because they have been to church all their life or because their parents have taught them. Well... I couldn't help but think that I haven't done much about those thoughts with some of my friends and family. I have allowed fear to enter in me. Fear of offending them or coming on too strong, or something. I am not sure what. I am guessing I have just become too comfortable with my walk and have found it is much easier to not say anything then to confront anyone.
Then my very best friend shared with me a dream that they had about Hell. It was very real and very terrifying to hear. As they were sharing it with me, I thought of some of the people I love so dearly. I know that I am not to judge someones salvation, but by all appearances, though they say they are saved, they have absolutely no interest in the things of God. They have no church, they do not read the bible, and there is no discussion on the things of God. So.. my natural thought is that they are probably not truly saved. I began to fear for their souls. If they died before knowing Christ, .... HELL IS REAL!!! And though it is God who quickens their heart, I am still held accountable for my actions or in this case.. my lack of actions.
Well, here is Romans 2. It is what I read this morning. It was cut and pasted from Biblegateway.
The Impartiality of God
1Therefore you have no excuse, everyone of you who passes judgment, for in that which you judge another, you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things. 2And we know that the judgment of God rightly falls upon those who practice such things. 3But do you suppose this, O man, when you pass judgment on those who practice such things and do the same yourself, that you will escape the judgment of God? 4Or do you think lightly of the riches of His kindness and tolerance and patience, not knowing that the kindness of God leads you to repentance? 5But because of your stubbornness and unrepentant heart (I)you are storing up wrath for yourself in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6who WILL RENDER TO EACH PERSON ACCORDING TO HIS DEEDS: 7to those who by perseverance in doing good seek for glory and honor and immortality, eternal life; 8but to those who are selfishly ambitious and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, wrath and indignation. 9There will be tribulation and distress for every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek, 10but glory and honor and peace to everyone who does good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11For there is no partiality with God. 12For all who have sinned (W)without the Law will also perish without the Law, and all who have sinned under the Law will be judged by the Law; 13for it is not the hearers of the Law who are just before God, but the doers of the Law will be justified. 14For when Gentiles who do not have the Law do instinctively the things of the Law, these, not having the Law, are a law to themselves, 15in that they show the work of the Law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness and their thoughts alternately accusing or else defending them, 16on the day when, according to my gospel, God will judge the secrets of men through Christ Jesus.
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. Romans 1:16
No comments:
Post a Comment