Well, it looks like we will be spending another night at the hospital. THis time, for Ri. We had his MRI on his heart done 2 weeks ago. It is the first time they have done anything more extensive then an echo. When we went for the follow up, we were suppose to just see the doctor for the results and have an EKG ran. The appointment was at 1:00. It tried to reschedule it because Erin was going to be playing in Canton at 5:00. From Children's it would take me 2 hours and 15 minutes to get there but Ri did not want to go, so I had planned on taking him home before we headed out (which meant I had to leave Children's by 2:00. We were the first appointment of the afternoon and they assured me that it should be pretty simple. We showed up 1/2 hour early in hopes to have his EKG ran earlier and then be out pretty quick. When we were taken back, I asked the nurse if she felt we could be out by 2:00 (It was 1:10 by then). She looked at the orders and said she doubted it since an echo took at least 30 minutes. An echo? What was that all about. I asked her why an echo was being run since they told me only an EKG. She thought maybe just because it was time for a normal, thorough exam. I accepted that, but was a little leary (not to mention a bit upset that my time was now going to be REALLY pushed). They immediately ran his EKG and within a minute, we were off to the echo. We were in the echo by 1:15. I still had hopes to be out the door by 2:00. Sure enough, the echo took 1/2 hour (every bit of it). It was the most extensive echo I have seen done on him. The tech assured me that this is the type she ALWAYS does on kids. I don't remember that at all. That last ones were very quick and the measuring and every picture I saw was much more extensive on this one. Still, I figured it was ok. She got done and told Ri how well he did. She told him to sit still, she thought he was done, but she would have to make sure the doctor was happy with the pictures and didn't want anything else done. Five minutes later, he was rolled back on his side and we were taking another 15 minutes of pictures. Now it was after 2:00. So much for being out the door in time to not have to take Ri to the game. But, I had hopes we would be out by 2:30-2:45 at the latest. On to our room. The nurse came in and listened,for a very very long time, to Ri's heart. That was new. By this time, I have the picture that something was up and we were not looking at the yearly "clean bill of health" comment.
The doctor came in and for the first time, ever, was just as nice and normal as could be. In the past, he has been arrogant and somewhat degrading to me. In fact, I had asked for a different doctor, but when scheduled the appointment, it was with him. He sat down and started talking to Ri and listening to his heart. Ri was getting anxious and a little wound up due to all the waiting and examining. The doctor gently held him and asked him if he would be able to find something to do quietly so that he could talk to me. Ok.. big clue that something is up! He sat down and went over his EKG, sharing with me what they would normally be looking for and how Ri's peak was not reaching where it should. Then he went on to share with me that we had already known of his narrowing arteries and pulmonary stenosis and that was all to be expected with a TOF kid after repair. He explained that on the echo and the MRI, there is evidence that one of the chambers has a pressure of 90/50 when it should be 90/20 or 30 (can't remember). He said, "still, that isn't something to be terribly concerned about". He explained that 2 of the 3 main arteries measure 7 millimeters (I am not sure what the normal measurement should be ... either 10 or 20, but I am thinking 10). He expects that with Ri. But his third artery measures only 3 mm. This is where the concern is. The blood can't flow into that cavity easily and so it is flowing into another cavity causing the 90/50 pressure.
My numbers could be way off. I told the doctor that I probably will not be able to remember all that he tells me. He told me that if I talk to 10 doctors, 5 would say to do nothing and watch him. They would rather wait and see how he does. If he gets worse, then we would do something. I think he might have been with those doctors a few years ago when he told us to wait. He said, then, that Ri looked way too good to touch. He said yesterday that Ri looks great. His heart sounds just how they would expect it to be. If a teacher were to watch him, they would not be able to tell the difference between him and a normal heart child. His activity level should be just like everyone elses. It is, but he gets tired far quicker then any of the other kids. He gets winded easily and flushed easily. But still, that doesn't concern him. But he says that what they seem to be finding is that for the adults whom were just like Ri.... the kids they said "let's wait and watch him" so that we don't have to go in a couple of times... when they go in as adults to put a stint in or repair, then they are finding that the one lung has not developed appropriately and is much smaller. They are begin to think that if they go in now, then the lung will develop as it should. The problem with going in now is that they will have to go in again in 5-6 years and do it again. So we put him at risk each time. But, the risks seems to be one that the benefits are far better then the risks.
So... could you pray for us to have wisdom and for Ri's heart. At this point, we are planning on having the procedure done. The doctor is sending the results to the 2 doctors that actually would be doing the procedure. In a couple of weeks, they will contact us to set up something if they agree. If we do have it done, he will be in the hospital for one night and then restricted to low activity (ha... do they understand who Ri is?) for 2 days (no school).... providing we have no complications to the procedure.
Well, we got out by 3:15 and were off to the game. My incredible mother-in-law met us and picked Ri up so he didn't have to go. She is amazing! We made it 15 minutes late. Erin looks great. She played well. They won 2-0 and we were able to take her to eat. Boy do I miss that girl!!! She really is doing amazing. College life is doing wonders for her.
I have wasted enough time on this computer. I need to take advantage of an empty house and go clean!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Praying for your family!! If I can help in any other way, call me anytime 24/7.
Glad that you were able to watch Erin play. I wish I was close enough to come to a game, maybe someday.
Post a Comment