Thursday, September 9, 2010

It seems to me that I should have all the time in the world to sit down and write. Writing is something I truly enjoy. I use to dream of writing a book one day. Someday, I just might. But, my focus is in way too many directions and blogging just isn't one of those places. Last night I was thinking about the blog and realized that it had been too long.... again. Then I thought of my girls and felt very guilty that I hadn't posted anything. For Emily, the blog is her connection back home. She checks it daily. I forget about that. I need to post more often for her.

Everyone is back in school and adjusting well. The two little ones absolutely LOVE Kindergarten. Elizabeth seems to be a different person. Many of you know her personally and know how she shuts down with people. She absolutely refuses to say hello or to speak when someone speaks to her or give hugs - even to family members(at least when any of us are around her). Something would trigger her and she would completely shut down. It happened even with her extended family members (whom she knows very, very well). But something has clicked in her. I don't know what, but something has happened. Since school has started, she has not refused to speak when someone speaks to her. She has stuck her hand out to shake the greeters at church, she has said hello to anyone who has said it to her, and she has run and jumped into the arms of her Aunt and Uncle without any reservation and with complete joy. She has hugged her grandparents with enthusiasm and even allowed a complete stranger to pick her up just because he asked her (while we were with her). She has even carried on conversations with people. It is unbelievable. Ri has made some changes as well. For him, routine is very, very important. For the first week, life was turned upside down. He had a hard time dealing with all the different things that had happened. Erin left, Emily left, he started school, we started babysitting in the afternoon.... life was kind of crazy. He absolutely loves school and thrives in the environment; but his behavior had become quite physical and somewhat (a lot) rebellious and angry. For Ri, this is kind of typical when he faces a severe change. I have watched it over the past 3 years. When things get turned upside down, he gets pretty aggressive. But, it has now been a couple of weeks and I see him making great strides in his behavior. He is calming down and not getting angry near as much. He is not as physical and his attitude towards everyone is getting back to our sweet little boy. It just takes him a little more time then most to adapt to changes. Poor little guy!
As for his health, we find out the results of his MRI next Tuesday. I am excited to see what the doctor has to say. This is the first "real" testing that he has had done since we brought him home. Oh, he has had an ultrasound and an EKG, but nothing more extensive.

Erin seems to be doing well in school. I think she likes it, though it is physically demanding on her body and she is exhausted. We discovered that she is low on iron and we are thinking it is adding to some of her exhaustion. We are hoping to have some testing done on her shoulder to find out if surgery is indeed necessary. Right now it is a matter of finding a doctor there that is on our insurance. Oh the joys of out-of-state colleges! I get to see her on Tuesday@!! YAY!!!!!! She is playing in Canton and Mark is letting me go! I can not wait to see her and I can not wait to see her play.... but mostly just to get a hug from my little girl and to see her in person. I miss her terribly.

Emily is my social butterfly and enjoying every minute of school. She seems to have found some study partners who are in her classes. She isn't studying with them just to be with them, but to truly study and do well. She is getting involved with things in the campus and is seemingly thriving. She misses Skyview and the entire atmosphere of it. She has changed her major to counseling and is enjoying that class (I think). She is busy with work and study and socializing, but always seems to make time to call mom. It is funny how different God has made each child. By the grace of God, I do not feel loved less by any of them despite the way they show their love. Erin and EMily are totally different in the way they express it. Erin is very independent and content with talking with us only when she needs us or after a several days (maybe even only because I have made her feel guilty). Emily knows how much I want to hear her voice, so she is very deliberate in calling me. But BOTH are precious and both love me and both are my baby girls and I miss both of them terribly!!!!

Sam is thriving in school right now. He is a member of student council and his class treasurer. He is on the varsity soccer team and in the marching band (a section leader). He is taking to KAP courses (college courses - Chemistry and History) and an Honors ENglish course. He is VERY, VERY busy. To top it off, he is working his tail off on having a good attitude around here. He is a pure joy. We are very proud of him and the young man he is becoming. I believe with all my heart that God grabbed ahold of him in a mighty way during that mission trip. It makes my heart skip.

And... I could not be more excited nor more proud of Jacob right now. A month ago, things were pretty tough. But God has placed his hand on Jacob's life; that, I am convinced of!!! Jacob has taken his challenges and struggles like a grown man. He has grabbed ahold of them and looked them straight on and plowed right through them. I am so very, very, very proud of him and how hard he has worked to get through each one. Adjusting back to school is not easy. He had some very difficult situations and is doing amazing with each one. Wow - I am such a very thankful mom today.

As I write, I get teary eyed just praising God for my 6 children and for what he is doing in each of their lives. I am truly amazed and so grateful! I can't imagine walking through this life without Him to lean on.

I feel sorry for the men and women who refuse to trust God, but even more for those who say it with their lips but their heart does not match up. It is so easy to say "I'm a Christian".... but saying it doesn't mean a thing. It is simply empty words and trusting in the words alone. Their is no peace, no satisfaction,... nothing but emptiness. Knowing God is where the peace comes from. I can't imagine how hard parenting would be without God. I have seen him answer countless prayers in the past 3 months. Why now??? Because, finally, I have learned to go to Him with more then a "thrown up prayer of hope". For years, my prayers have been simple "help me" prayers. But since I started running, my prayer life has changed and my intimacy with God has become where it once was. God is real. God hears prayers and God answers prayers. It gives me chills.

No comments: