Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Sometimes I just have to chuckle. I read my previous post in which I was really struggling with the H1N1 vacination. Well... my struggle appears to be over. Today, we were informed that Sam has influenza A; which means the likelihood is that he has the H1N1 virus. They are treating him as if he does. I giggle because I took him in and once again felt like an overprotective mom. We sat and had a strep test and an influenza A test done. We waited 15-20 minutes and our nurse popped her head in and said that it was negative so far, but they wanted to wait the full 15 minutes. There have been a few tests that have shown positive in those last few mintues. So we waited patiently. 10 or so minutes went past and she announced that he was negative to both. I was much relieved and somewhat frustrated because I thought I knew my son better. There are times I just know soemthing is wrong and when I get that "negative"... it makes me feel like I am some overprotective worrier. The nurse practioner prescribed Z-pack for his cough. She felt he definitely needed something for the cough. I found out later that it was bronchitis. So, being a good mom, I went right over to the pharmacy, waited an hour and had his presciption in my hot little hands. As soon as we got home, I made him take the first dose (which is a double dose); he was feeling very badly. Relieved to get some meds in him, I went about my business. The phone rang, Elizabeth answered, and it was the doctors office. The nurse quietly said that this isn't really funny, but kind of ironic... Sam's test showed positive for influenza A. Evidently, 10 mintues after we left, they had not thrown the test away and noticed that it was showing positive. Yikes... I'm very glad they noticed it.

Now... he will be on both tamaflu and z-pack. I am assured there is no problem with that. Just pray for him. Sam does have asthma, so he has been one I feared getting it. Ri has a temperature of 100 (under his arm) and a horrible cough. It came on quickly. And Jacob has a horrible headache, body ache and runny nose. They are both going back into the doctor this afternoon. So.. we are off and running in another challenge.

Please pray for us as we battle this sickness. Sam, Ri, Elizabeth, and I are all considered in the high risk category. But.. our God is mightier!

No comments: