Wednesday, May 26, 2010


We are finally home. Not that we were there a long time, but for tonsils it was a long time. Most tonsilectomies are done outpatient. I was thankful for being in the hospital. Last night she woke up around midnight coughing and in a LOT Of pain. I think she was an hour over due for pain meds. She started crying a lot and finally decided that she wanted me to take her for a walk. I got her up and out of bed and she just cried and cried. She started coughing because hte crying was working things up. Then she threw up all over me. Unfortunately, it was intensely painful and she somehow started choking on it. She couldn't get air at first, which freaked me out. It happened just as the nurse had come in because she heard Elizabeth crying. I was thankful she was there. Instantly, another nurse came by our sides. Elizabeth was able to get air (much relief for me!). Then she cried more (probably because of pain and fear). In the midst of that, she threw up again. Then she started crying hard saying "mommy, I'm scared". It tore me apart. We knew we needed to get some pain meds in her, but she would have NOTHING to do with it. She was terrified to swallow. She was also terrified of coughing. She would start to cry and I would remind her that she would end up throwing up again. That really got her to stop screaming and crying. At one point, she started sobbing quietly with tears coming down her face. She told me that she had to cough and she was scared. It took us a good hour before we could get her to even attempt to swallow. Then we oculd get the pain meds in. WE had to wait a good 1/2 hour longer til we could get the bleeding medicine in her. Finally, 3 hours later, she fell back to sleep and slept well (until woke up by the doctor with a very intense flashlight on his head ... shining in her eyes ... saying ... wake up Elizabeth and open up). It was not a great awakening. She cried and open her mouth as wide as she could (not wide enough). He shined the flashlight on his head (several times in her eyes) and stuck a tongue depressor in her mouth and forces her to open wider. Soon after the forced awakening, she fell back to sleep only to be woke up 10 minutes later to get medicine shoved down. But... after all that, she ended up having a good morning. We were given the ok to leave as long as her bloodwork came back ok (it did) and she drank 8 ounces of liquid (which took her 5 hours to do!!!).

So.. we are home. She is doing well. I just gave her tylenol with codeine in order to help her sleep easier and her bleeding meds. Pray they do not make her sick! I will update more tomorrow. I am tired.

No comments: