Saturday, December 5, 2009

Happy Gotcha Day!

Memories of the past 4 years....
(Elizabeth's "gotcha moments" are in the first 5 minutes of the movie, then it covers Ri's adoption)

Our first glimpse of our baby. This is our referral picture.

This is the first moment that we saw our little girl in person. We are waiting for our names to be called so we can hold her.
Our first moments together.












































There are days in every ones life in which every detail and emotion are forever burned into our memory. And when the anniversary of that day rolls around, those memories come flooding back; often as if you are reliving it. On the birthday of each of our biological kids, my memory always takes me back to the moment that they were laid in my arms. I love to "relive" hours that lead up to their birth, the labor, the birth, the first few moments when Mark and I are alone and holding our precious child. I love to think about all that went on that day. They are fond, fond memories for me.

Today, though it is not one of my children's actual birth, it is one of those "forever moments" and times to reflect. Today brings the anniversary of the day we "gave birth" to Elizabeth. Today marks the 4 year anniversary of Elizabeth's "gotcha day". Four years ago, our family traveled to China to bring our precious daughter home. It was just as precious of a birth as it was when we traveled to the hospital to give birth to our biological children. In a room filled with 4 other families and 5 precious little babies awaiting to be held by their forever families.... we waited to hear our name called so that we could hold our little girl. The excitement in the room was exhilarating. There were 22 of us; all straining to see which of the babies was ours. All of was holding our breath and waiting to hear our name called. There was no formal ceremony, no fuss made over the first moments.. nothing happened as I had expected (but isn't that really how giving birth is?) When we heard our name, Mark and I walked forward and the man whom was holding Elizabeth placed her in our arms. In fact, I don't even remember him handing her to me. It was as if everything in that room disappeared and it was only Elizabeth and I. In that moment, I felt as if I had given birth to my daughter. Nothing in the room mattered but her. Just as when you give birth, in that moment all the waiting and anticipating is washed away. The labor, the contractions, the wondering, the fears, ... all the unknown of birth... is wiped away and the only thing that matters is that precious little one that you are finally holding in your arms. The LONG wait, the paperwork, the travel, the fears, the unknowns, the wondering what she would look like, feel like, smell like... it was all gone and FINALLY, I was holding my baby girl.... and she was perfect!

Four years have now gone by. She is still just as precious as she was no that day. She is as much my daughter just as if I literally gave birth to her. There is NO difference. Her birth was just a little different then my other 4. But she is my baby in every way she possibly could be. We talk about her birthparents. She understands as best a 4 years old can understand. She was very confused when I shared with her that she was not in my belly, but in her birthmoms belly. But it was exciting for her to know that there is some woman in China who was her birthmom. She says she loves her birthmom and wants to know what she looks like. I hope that she will always love her birthparents and understand that for some reason (unknown to us), her birthparents were just not able to raise her. I often explain how it was God's plan for us to be her family. He held her and brought her into this world through her birthparents. And then he held her as she waited for him to bring us to China. We share with her how God told us to go to China because our baby girl was waiting for us there. I thank God for her birthparents and I ache for their hearts. No doubt that on January 21st, their hearts ache the deepest ache possible. That whole week following her birth is probably forever burned into their minds. I pray that they come to know Jesus Christ as their savior and that Elizabeth will trust Jesus as her savior and then... one day (maybe not until we are on glory's side), she will be reunited with them and all will make sense.

Elizabeth is a vibrant, beautiful little girl. She has a sparkle that can warm anyone's heart and a "fear/withdraw" that can break your heart. Her favorite toys ... and I mean FAVORITE... are small stuffed animals (beanie baby size). She and Ri will play for ours with them. It is rare not to have one near by. I have never seen such an active imagination in a child as I do in both of the kids. If stuff animals are not around, they will choose the closest thing and pretend with that. I have seen them takes forks and paper and make an entire story up with using them as the characters. She LOVES movies/tv and if I don't watch it closely, she could sit there all day and be happy. But the minute I turn it off, she is up and playing as creatively as she knows how. SHe never asks to watch tv, but will drop everything the minute I turn it on again. She loves playing outside; but isn't a fan of the cold or the extreme heat. Summer seems to be her least favorite because she gets so hot. She is very, very picky about her clothes. I can not get a long sleeve shirt or dress on her for anything! It doesn't matter how adorable it is, if it has long sleeves, I'm done for. AND... as for short sleeves, there are very few of those that she likes as well. So, her wardrobe is not that big (though I have a closest full of beautiful clothes for her!) She still LOVES her "hulk" blanket. It is the uglies thing I have seen (I am not a fan of the hulk); but my mother-in-law found it at a garage sale just after she lost her blanket that she NEVER left home without. It had the exact same feel as that blanket. As soon as she felt the "hulk"; she loved it. So... I am stuck with my little baby GIRL attached to a blanket that bares the picture of the Hulk on it.

She adores her family. Her Daddy is her hero. He is so patient with her and willing to wait her out when she hits her withdraw moments. He gets down and dirty with her and she loves it. SHe has really missed Emily. When Em was home, she lit up. A few days before Em left, Elizabeth didn't want to leave her side. It was precious. She loves it when Erin interacts with her; especially when Erin takes time to do crafts with her. Sam is the biggest toy around. When Sam is in the room, the volume raises 10 fold! Jacob has become her rock. He is always here and always willing to watch her and always willing to play with her. And Ri... well Ri is her very, very best friend!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your posts bring tears to my eyes. God is so wonderful, so good.... What joy we have as we trust in Him and follow His leading!

You have such a beautiful family, and you, Darcy, are such a special lady. I am so blessed to know you and Mark, even "from afar" as I read about your life and experiences over the net. Such a testimony of God's greatness! :-) Thank you for blessing me today!

Donna :-)

Becky Durbin said...

Darcy and Mark,

Thanks so much for sharing your life's story! I, too, am thrilled at how God has brought your unique family together for His purposes.

Love you all,
Becky