Friday, February 22, 2008

Jacob turns 12 (a week ago, today)


I realized a few days ago that I hadn't posted Jacob's birthday. It is often difficult to juggle 2 birthday's back to back. I am sorry, my little boy! Jacob turned 12 years old. I can hardly believe he is 12, yet I can hardly believe he is only 12! He is so tender. God has gifted him with a tenderness and sweetness that one day will bless a young woman... many years from now! God has blessed Jacob with an incredible mind. He does not think like a normal 12 year old boy. Oh, don't get me wrong, he loves to play like a 12 year old boy... but he thinks far beyond most adults. His passions are history, reading, politics, trivia, and making sure things are done right. He can share with you the more details then you have time to listen, yet he continues because it is his passion. I have probably learned more from my son about life and what is going on in the world then I have learned from any other source. He cracks me up. I know more about this presidential election then I have ever known about any election because everyday Jacob comes home and shares with us what he has learned. I love to listen to the things that excite my little boy.

On the side bar, I have posted his fundraising progress for anyone interested in seeing how he is doing. Right now, he has raised $295.93. He is blessed with Mark's family!!!! For his birthday, his Mamaw & Papaw and Aunt & Uncle always give him money. He was so looking forward to that gift this year because it was going towards his trip. His Uncle and Mamaw have been buying him fund raising candy and drinks for him to sell at his concession stand. And his Mamaw and Papaw have been hiring him to work. So.. just about the whole amount he has raised has been due to the incredible generosity (and a little bit of hard work) of Mark's family. We have been hiring him to babysit the little ones; we both seem to benefit from that... .he gets money and Mark and I get time alone! :) If you have any work around your yard/house that you need done and would like to hire him, he is willing to do just about anything. We sat down and wrote out several letters to businesses asking if they would like to help sponsor him. Emily has taken a box of the candy his Uncle bought him to work. He has made nearly $30 from that box. Last night, Sam and Jacob attended their first 4-H meeting. THey are planning to take chickens to the fair. What started out as another avenue for them to raise the money for their trips seems to be something much better. I was excited to be at the meeting and learn a little bit about the hard work that is put into fair projects. I think this will teach them much more then just earning a little extra money.

So.. with the help of his family and the obvious intervention of the Lord... Jacob is plugging away on his goal and watching God work. What a wonderful lesson he is learning.

Happy Belated Birthday baby boy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Darcy... someone shared your webpage with Skip back when you adopted Elizabeth so I have followed your journey for a while now. I have watched your video three times and wept every time. ;-) We would LOVE to help Jacob with his trip! Send me your email addy, if you will. What a gorgeous family you have!
Donna (deeholler@aol.com)