Thursday, February 14, 2008


We have been working on our letters and learning to write them. This is Elizabeth's letter A.

On another note.....I hate forwards with a passion. Often I don't read them and might not even open them up, especially if they are from someone who forwards me things alot. Unless there is a personal note attached to it as to why they thought I should read this...it's often put aside or in my trash. This is one of those. I got the forward, kind of glanced through the first few sentences, looked how long it was and said - NO. Then I closed it up and trashed it. I figured it was good, but I have this thing about forwards that I just can't shake. Don't get me wrong, I read some forwards; especially from my friends who never forward me anything. Right or wrong, it is those forwards that seem to me like it must have truly meant something to my friend to actually have forwarded it to me. I don't mean to hurt anyone who forwards things on to people... but for me personally, it just doesn't mean so much when I get lots of forwards from someone. I am sure they are sending it out with great motives behind it. I am also confident that I might be missing out on something that would bless me... but when you get 100's of emails a day, you tend to learn to skim through the subject line and only read the things that you really need to or want to read. But... I was reading a friends blog and this same "email" that I got was on her blog. I finally took some time to read it. It took me a few days to actually read it and think about it. I went to the blog a couple of times before God opened my eyes to read it through my own eyes and not through someone elses eyes.

Here is the excerpt from Beth Moore's book Breaking Free ; Only Christ can set us free, all other gods or idols(anything or anyone we put in the place of God; or worship) can only enslave; therefore enslaved parents teach their children how to live in bondage even with the best intentions to do otherwise. For many years I have kept an excerpt from It's Always Something by the late Gilda Radner. The last paragraph shares a lesson on life every parent should heed.

When I was little, my nurse Dibby's cousin had a dog,just a mutt,and the dog was pregnant.I don't know how long dogs are pregnant,but she was due to have her puppies in about a week .She was out in the yard one day and got in the way of the lawnmower and her two hind legs got cut off.They rushed her to the vet and he said," I can sew her up,or you can have her put to sleep if you want, but the puppies are okay.She'll be able to deliver the puppies."
Dibby's cousin said,"Keep her alive."
So the vet sewed up her backside. and over the next week the dog learned to walk.She didn't spend any time worrying, she just learned to walk by taking two steps in front and flipping up her backside,and then taking two steps and flipping up her backside again. She gave birth to six little puppies, all in perfect health.She nursed them and then weaned them.And when they learned to walk they walked just like her.


Go ahead and laugh for a few seconds, then take this very seriously. The date I read this excerpt was exactly July 13,1989.Do you know why I remember it so well? Because after crying myself into a heap, I resolved to do anything and everything God willed- no matter how difficult- to make sure my two precious pups would not grow up and walk like their mother, the victim.(You add your own in there.Alcoholic,drug addict,liar, workaholic,people pleaser etc.)Or like her mother, the victim. I say this with deep love and respect.I was trying to do my best before that pivotal period in my life, but I still had areas of bondage I had convinced myself would not affect my children. I finally faced the fact that i had to break all chains,because even a thin chain can strangle the life out of you. I have found freedom right next to God's side.Breaking the cycle has been such hard work, but the glorious freedom God has given is worth it,because He is worth it.And He happens to think you are worth it!!


Well, I don't know how you read it. Maybe it means nothing to you and that's ok. It is only God who opens are eyes, ears, and heart to recieve the words He wants us to. For some, this isn't an issue. For me, I was reminded of the words and body language I often see in Elizabeth because of my responses at times. I was reminded of the many times I have lost Christ like behavior only to turn around and throw it in my kids faces that they are not behaving like Christ. I was reminded that my lack of patience and my "ordering" the kids around has been taught to my children. Many of the fallacies that I see in them (and hate) are the same exact ones that I OWN.

GOd reminded me of the example I need to be with my kids at all times. In my bible study on Saturday, I mentioned that one of my goals was to become Christlike to my kids. Our study had just brought to light the example I am to them. I do not want them growing up and walking the same way I have walked with them. I want them to emulate Christ and his attributes. The only way I can be at peace is if I begin to emulate him within the closed doors of my own home. I praise God for never giving up on me and for gently, as well as with a 2x4 at times, bringing me back to Him.

No comments: