Wednesday, August 4, 2010

I like to post pictures from each year so that I can look back and see the changes; especially at gotcha days and birthdays. Today, I thought it might be fun to look back at how Mark and I have changed through the years. I really hadn't realized how difficult it was going to be to find pictures of the 2 of is though! There just aren't many. I looked through 1000's of pictures and could only find a couple from each year. That made me very sad.

We had a wonderful day yesterday. Mark surprised me by taking the day off. It was a great gift! I had originally intended on walking into town (9 mile walk) with Elizabeth and Ri to pick up our car (windshield needed replaced). What a joy it was not to have to do that! Instead, I had the joy of sharing lunch with my husband and celebrating our 20th together!

So...Mark and I have never really been big gift givers to each other. So I got to thinking about this....20th is a VERY BIG deal!!! We were planning a get away when we took Erin to college... only... Erin REALLY wants Jacob (her boyfriend) to come with us. That kind of puts a damper on any romantic getaways, doesn't it? WE could say no, but it means a LOT to Erin....so...our plans changed. I still had dreams of a weekend away or something like that... but reality sometimes hits you in the face. With just having paid 2 semesters of college and needing to pay 2 more in December, with school fees/supplies/clothes/sports this month and with car repairs and a well that runs dry every day.... reality screams that a weekend away, despite the fact it is your 20th wedding anniversary, is not smart.

So what our we doing for our "gift" to each other. Well... the other day, when Mark and I were training for our "mini" triatholon (though it is NOT mini to me!!!!), Mark shared with me that he just paid for our entry fee. Then he told me that he thought that running the triatholon was the coolest way to celebrate our anniversary. At first, I was taken-a-back! What in the world was he thinking!!! A cool way to celebrate our 20th anniversary??????? WHAT!!! Did he really realize how that sounded? Did he know what I was going through trying to do this??? Did he understand that I really hadn't meant what I said when I said I wanted to do a triatholon one day??? Is he crazy??!@@! But then I got to thinking about it. How cool is it that when we met... on the very next morning... we ran 5 miles together. We were both very athletic and enjoyed doing that kind of thing. And now...20 years later... after 6 kids.... we are running our first EVER "mini" triatholon... and actually enjoying it. It has been something that has really blessed our marriage. He is right; I can NOT think of a better gift to one another.

Well, hope you enjoyed the progression of our marriage. It is a brief glimpse into a blessed gift.

well... you must forgive the "recent' picture. It is the ONLY one of Mark and I that I have for this year. It is a sad picture, but one that will just have to do for today!





(sorry, I couldn't find a picture with Mark and I during this year...guess our life was pretty busy!)















No comments: