Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Sam came up with a fun game to exercise Shu. Elizabeth thought it was so much fun that she joined in. Sam plalyed this for a very long time. Elizabeth kept up the whole time at the pace you see in the video. Hope you enjoy it. After the video of the new game, I through in a video clip from our Vacation Bible School. It was the kids first time being able to go. I have to say that they loved it. They have been singing the songs everyday since. Both did great the first 3 days, but by the 4th day, they were not easily letting go of Mommy. And by the last day, Mommy ended up being their crew leader.

I think our dog's name has been officially kept. Noone has tried giving her a new name. We have discovered that she has 6 "toes". I think it is her dew claw that has the extra "toe" on it. So, we had tried to come up with the name of the man with 6 fingers on the Princess Bride movie. Yesterday, someone told us his name was Rugan. I think that is a very cool name, but noone really jumped at it. As I thought of it, I began to wander if the name "Shoo" was Chinese at all. It sure sounded like it. So I began a search on the internet. Only, I changed the spelling of her name to Shu because that is the way it would be in Chinese.

From this site, http://www.questia.com/PM.qst?a=o&d=95849742, I discovered that "Shu" is explained as "what one does not want, one does not
do to others" ( Analects15:23).2 Confucius refers to it as the one word that can serve
as the guiding principle of conduct throughout life ( Analects 15:23). And Confucius'
disciple Tseng Tzu describes shu, together with the virtue of loyalty (chung), as the
one thread that runs through Confucius' doctrine ( Analects 4:15).3

On another site, http://www.20000-names.com/female_chinese_names.htm, SHU (淑)means: Chinese unisex name meaning "good, pure, virtuous."

Finally, on another site, http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/chi.php, SHU 淑 f
Means "kind, gentle" in Chinese.

So, I simply changed the spelling that the pound gave her (which was Shoo) and made it Shu. I love the meaning of her name.

1 comment:

Becky Durbin said...

Love the dog's name! Just make sure you don't say "Shu" when you really want her to "come." Hee! Hee!